GROUCHO DRINKS NIGHT
Join Documentary Edge, SPADA and the SDGNZ for the inaugural Groucho Drinks Night. This event-night happens each month, on every 2nd Thursday. We will send out invitations to our members but mark these Thursdays on your calendars!
WORKING WITH ACTORS MASTERCLASS with Miranda Harcourt
In Auckland, Wellington, Christchurch and Dunedin.
The SDGNZ and the NZ Film Commission are pleased to announce that Miranda Harcourt will be holding a one day workshop for screen directors in Auckland.
In this practical workshop Miranda will draw on her experiences as a screen coach, director and teacher to help you create excellent performances with actors.
The one-day workshop will cover performance and the relationship between director and actor as well as the
relationship between director and performance. The workshop will include practical tools for:
- Growing relationships with your actors
- Developing on-set performance shorthand
- Leading great rehearsals
- Creating profound and complex performances
- Inspiring true connection and relationships between your actors
- Exploring the depth of scenes
- Building actors’ confidence
Auckland Workshop: Sunday 16th June | 9am - 5pm
Venue: The Auckland Performing Arts Centre (TAPAC), 100-102, Motions Road, Western Springs, Auckland 1022
There will also be other workshops in the following centres:
Wellington: Thursday 20th June | 9am - 5pm | workingwithactorswellington.eventbrite.com
Christchurch: Sunday 23rd June | 9am - 5pm | workingwithactorsinchristchurch.eventbrite.com
Dunedin Workshop: Thursday 27th June | 9am - 5pm | workingwithactorsindunedin.eventbrite.com
Each workshop is limited to 10 directors.
$80 for SDGNZ members | $ 100 for non-members
Miranda brings to her role as a screen-acting coach a diverse range of experiences, from working in prisons in London and New Zealand to six years heading the acting programme at Toi Whakaari – NZ Drama School. She has produced, commissioned and executive-produced many short films through the screen programme at Toi Whakaari and through MAP Film Productions.
An award-winning actress and director, Miranda has recently acting-coached on a series of international feature films including Bridge to Terabithia (Best Actress 2008 Young Artist Awards) directed by Gabor Csupo, Bright Star directed by Jane Campion and Under the Mountain directed by Jonathan King.
Miranda draws on a wide range of new and established methodologies to tailor an approach specific to each actor and director.
“Miranda’s skills as an actress and coach place her at the top of her field. The work she does is unique
anywhere in the world.” - Peter Jackson, director The Lovely Bones & The Hobbit
“For me it is wonderful to have a coach who is sensitive to my way of working... Miranda is great.”
- Jane Campion
2011 PAST EVENTS & INITIATIVES:
- Working with Non-Actors with Jason Stutter in Auckland and Wellington
- Editing for Drama with John Gilbert in Wellington
- Editing for Drama with Annie Collins in Auckland
- VFX Masterclass in Auckland and Wellington - with Charlie Haskell, George Ritchie, and Kevin Riley
- Peter Burger Masterclasses - The Directors Toolkit in Auckland and Wellington
- DOC2DOC, Auckland in August
- Toa Fraser Masterclass - Directors working with Actors in Auckland and Wellington
- Spartacus Internships for SDGNZ Members
- DOC2DOC, Wellington in May
- Peter Webber and Gaylene Preston's Directors Talk, Wellington
- Peter Burger Masterclass, Getting from Page to Screen, Dunedin
- Date Night, Auckland
- The SDGNZ Quiz fundraiser, Auckland
- DOC2DOC, Auckland
- Film Talk, The Most Fun you can have Dying with Matt Whelan (actor) and Kirstin Marcon (Dir.)
Film Talk, In Search of Hayden, with Phil Grabsky (Dir.)
- Film Talk, Brother Number One, with Rob Hamill (NZ Olympic champion and subject of the film)
- Film Talk, Sione's 2 - Unfinished Business, with Simon Bennett (Dir.)
If you would like your news or event to be added to this listing, please fill in all form fields below and click 'Send'. Please include all relevant information.